PENDING REVIEW – Needs additional content, trimming, structure.
This is part 1 of my promised dissemination of beliefs held by many. Mainly christian sects.
One question and argument that is used constantly by both side’s seems to be the one of “Circular Logic” circular logic is basically, proving facts by assuming that a given belief is true to begin with. As a simple example let me first link you to this Wikipedia Article – The following quote I hope stands for itself
1. Suppose Paul believes what he (himself) says.
2. Paul is not lying. Therefore,
3. Paul is telling the truth.
In my mind it easy to fit the bible and Christians into this structure.
1. Suppose Christians believe what the Bible says.
2. The Bible is authentic. Therefore,
3. Christian believes are the right believes.
The premise in this situation is that the Bible is correct and authentic. Many forget to question this – in my mind the Bible is just a book. It is the main argument in my mind against mindless following of faith and religion. The argument against this is that the Bible is authentic, because – it is written (In the Bible). Begs the question….
If the Bible wasn’t so big and popular maybe people would take this into consideration. I’m not categorically stating that the bible doesn’t contain valuable knowledge and help on living your life well. I find it hard to accept that God exists on the basis of what is written in some book. If I believe this then surely I believe everything I read? If I use the same logic against the Bible’s biggest competition on the Best seller list I can see the absurdity of this.
1. Suppose I believe what “Harry Potter” says.
2. “Harry Potter” is authentic (It’s written after all). Therefore,
3. Anything in Harry Potter is real, like my God – Dumbledore….